2013 Second Batch of Basic Materials
Below is a list of the second batch of Basic Materials for the 2013 Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition.
NB: Inclusion of any particular text in the Basic Materials does not entail that the content of the text is binding as international law or reflects current prevailing theory or practice. Please note that teams are NOT required to use these materials. They are being provided to teams as a guide and starting point for research. As always, participants are encouraged to conduct their own research outside of the scope of these Basic Materials.
Be sure to check back occasionally as new sources may be added.
These links are not all hosted on ILSA's website. Please send an email to email@example.com if any of the links below stop working.
The documents included in the second batch of Basic Materials are as follows:
1. Defining Statehood: The Montevideo Convention and its Discontents, Thomas D. Grant, 37 Colum. J. Transnat'l L. 403 1998-1999.
2. Protecting Environmentally Displaced People: Developing the Capacity of Legal and Normative Frameworks, Roger Zetter, Refugee Studies Centre, Oxford Department of International Development, University of Oxford, 2011.
3. Weisz, Schwarzkopf and Panitch, Selected Issues in Sovereign Debt Litigation, 12 U Pennsylvania J Int'l Business and Law 1.
4. Refugee Law Reader
5. International Organization for Migration
6. Case Concerning the Payment of Various Serbian Loans Issued in France, PCIJ Series A, No 20/21, 1929.
7. McAdam, Jane, ‘Disappearing States’, Statelessness and the Boundaries of International Law (January 21, 2010). UNSW Law Research Paper No. 2010-2.
8. Goodwin-Gill, Guy S., The Right to Seek Asylum: Interception at Sea and the Principle of Non-Refoulement, 23 Int'l J. Refugee L. 443 (2011).
9. Cox, Noel, The Acquisition of Sovereignty by Quasi-States: The case of the Order of Malta.
10. Legal Status of Eastern Greenland, PCIJ Seiries A/B, Fascicule No. 53, 1933.
11. Diversion of Water from the River Meuse, PCIJ Series A/B, Fascicule No. 70, 1937.
12. United States Diplomatic and Consular Staff in Tehran (United States of American v. Iran), ICJ 1980.
13. Case Concerning the Arrest Warrant of 11 April 2000 (Democratic Republic of Congo v. Belgium), ICJ 2002.
14. Case Concerning Military and Paramilitary Activities in and Against Nicaragua (Nicaragua v. United States of America), ICJ 1986.
15. James Crawford, The Criteria for Statehood in International Law (1976) 48(1) British Yearbook of International Law 93.
16. Rosemary Rayfuse and Emily Crawford, 'Climate Change, Sovereignty and Statehood' (2011) University of Sydney Law School Legal Studies Research Paper No. 11/59.
17. James Crawford’s Second Report on State Responsibility
18. ILC’s Report on the work of its 51st Session
19. A v. Australia
20. Soering v. United Kingdom
21. 2013 ILSA-IBA Webcast
Click here for the 2013 First Batch of Basic Materials.