Jessup 2023 Problem with Corrections and Clarifications - .pdf | .docx
Jessup 2023 Corrections and Clarifications - .pdf | .docx
The Basic Materials for Jessup 2023 are now available. In a change of practice from previous years, ILSA will not be issuing a second batch of Basic Materials; instead, we will update this list from time to time. We encourage all teams to visit frequently to make sure that you have the latest materials.
Materials added after 6 October will be placed in a second list at the bottom of the page, so teams do not need to re-download every single item.
Updated 7 November 2022
- First Batch published 6 October 2022
- Charter of the United Nations
- Statute of the International Court of Justice
- Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties
- International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (1966)
- International Convention on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (1966)
- Draft Articles on the Law of Treaties (1966) With Commentaries
- Convention (IV) respecting the Laws and Customs of War on Land and its annex: Regulations concerning the Laws and Customs of War on Land (1907) (Hague Regulations), Regulation 42
- The Third Geneva Convention (GCIII), relative to the treatment of prisoners of war (1949), Arts. 3-4, 21-24, 49-57
- The Fourth Geneva Convention, relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War (1949) (GCIV), Arts. 33, 47, 49, 51-53, 55-56, 59-60, 76, 79-88
- Protocol Additional to the Geneva Conventions of 12 August 1949, and relating to the Protection of Victims of International Armed Conflicts (API), Arts. 1, 3-4, 44-45, 48-52, 54-55, 57-58, 60, 69-70, 85-86
- Draft articles on Responsibility of States for Internationally Wrongful Acts, with commentaries (2001)
- Draft articles on the effects of armed conflicts on treaties, with commentaries (2011)
- Basel Convention on the Control of Transboundary Movements of Hazardous Wastes and their Disposal (1989)
- Stockholm Convention on persistent organic pollutants (2001)
- General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (1947)
- Final Report to the Prosecutor by the Committee Established to Review the NATO Bombing Campaign Against the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia (2000)
- Barcelona Traction, Light, and Power Company, Ltd., ICJ Judgement (1970)
- Military and Paramilitary Activities in and against Nicaragua (Nicaragua v. United States of America), ICJ Judgement (1986)
- Legal Consequences of the Construction of a Wall in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, ICJ Advisory Opinion (2004)
- Armed Activities on the Territory of the Congo (Democratic Republic of the Congo v. Uganda), ICJ Judgment (2005)
- Inter American Court of Human Rights, Advisory Opinion OC-23/17 on The Environment and Human Rights (2017)
- Prosecutor v. Prlić et al., Trial Chamber Judgment, ICTY (2013)
- Prosecutor v. Prlić et al., Appeal Chamber Judgement, ICTY (2017)
- UN General Assembly Resolutions:
- Strauss, M. J. (2015). Territorial Leasing in Diplomacy and International Law. Leiden: Brill Nijhoff - available on Team Homepage
- Unilateral coercive measures: notion, types and qualification, Report of the Special Rapporteur on the negative impact of unilateral coercive measures on the enjoyment of human rights, Alena Douhan (2021) - Updated 7 October 2022
- Second Batch published 7 November 2022
- ICRC, Customary International Humanitarian Law, Vol. I: Rules (Jean-Marie Henckaerts & Louise Doswald-Beck) (2005).
- HCJ 2690/09 Yesh Din et al. v. IDF Commander, 28 March 2010.
- ILC, Draft Articles on Diplomatic Protection with Commentaries (2006).
- Commission on Human Rights, Sub-Commission on the Promotion and Protection of Human Rights, The Adverse Consequences of Economic Sanctions: Review of Further Developments (The Bossuyt Report), U.N. Doc. E/CN.4/Sub.2/2000/33 (21 June 2000).
- Al-Skeini and Others v. UK, App. No. 55721/07, ECtHR (7 July 2011).
- Central Front (Partial Award) (Ethiopia’s Claim 2), XXVI Eritrea-Ethiopia Cl. Trib. Reps. 155 (Apr. 28, 2004).
- World Economic Forum, Plastics, the Circular Economy, and Global Trade, White Paper (2020).
- Rebecca Barber, An Explanation of the General Assembly’s Troubled Relationship with Unilateral Sanctions, 70 Int’l & Compt. L. Quarterly 343 (2021).
- Lori F. Damrosch, The Legitimacy of Economic Sanctions as Countermeasures for Wrongful Acts, 37 Berkeley J. Int’l L. 249 (2019).
- Tom Ruys, Sanctions, Retorsions and Countermeasures: Concepts and International Legal Framework, in Research Handbook on UN sanctions and international law (Edward Elgar Publishing) (2016).
- Detlev F. Vagts, The Traditional Legal Concept of Neutrality in a Changing Environment, 14(1) Am. U. Int’l L. 83 (1998).
- Asaf Lubin, The Reasonable Intelligence Agency, 47 Yale J. Int’l. L. 119 (2022).
- Rebecca Crootof, War Torts, 97(4) NYU L. Rev. 1063 (2022).
- Hao-Nhien Q. Vu, The Law of Treaties and the Export of Hazardous Waste, 12(2) UCLA J. Environ. L. & Pol’y 389 (1994)
- Eva Romée van der Marel, Trading Plastic Waste in a Global Economy: Soundly Regulated by the Basel Convention?, Environ. L. 1 (2022).
- Ryan Goodman, The Detention of Civilians in Armed Conflict, 103(1) J. Int’l. L. 48 (2009).
- Monica Hakimi, A Functional Approach to Targeting and Detention, 110 Mich. L. Rev. 1365 (2012).
- Zachary Mollengarden & Noam Zamir, The Monetary Gold Principle: Back to Basics, 115(1) Am. J. Int’l. L. 41 (2021).
- Marko Milanovic, Mistakes of Fact When Using Lethal Force in International Law: Part I, Part II, EJIL: Talk! (2020).
- Prosecutor v. Kupreskic, Case No. IT-95-16-T , Judgment ⁋524 (Int'l Crim. Trib. for the Former Yugoslavia Jan. 14, 2000).
- Secondary sanctions, civil and criminal penalties for circumvention of sanctions regimes and overcompliance with sanctions, Report of the Special Rapporteur on the negative impact of unilateral coercive measures on the enjoyment of human rights, Alena F. Douhan (15 July 2022)