The Jessup Competition is judged by an elite corps of volunteer attorneys. Judges are needed at all levels of the Competition (National, Friendly, and International) to evaluate and score the written and oral pleadings of the competitors. In most jurisdictions, study or practice in the field of international law, or prior experience in the Jessup Competition, is preferred, but not required.
Feel free to email [email protected] with any questions.
If you are new to judging the Jessup, then you will need to create a new account. Once you have created an account, please register your preferences as soon as possible.
We encourage new and returning judges to begin registering their preferences for the Jessup Competition in the Fall of every year.
If you register your interest in judging National and Friendly Rounds, we will share your contact information with the National Administrators in the locations in which you indicated your interest in judging. The National Administrators will be communicating with and scheduling judges for National Rounds. The most up-to-date information about National Rounds including dates, locations, and National Administrator email addresses can be found on our National and Friendly Rounds page. If you have questions about a specific National Round, we encourage you to contact the National Administrator in the first instance. However, you can also email [email protected] with questions or concerns.
If you register your interest in judging the Jessup 2023 International Rounds we expect to confirm judges on a rolling basis from February through March 2023. We have limited judging slots available at the Jessup International Rounds, and may not be able to confirm all applicants to judge. Additional information will be sent to International Rounds judges as they are confirmed. We appreciate in advance your patience with this process. Please contact us at [email protected] with any questions.
ILSA is excited to announce that the 2023 White & Case Jessup International Rounds will be held, in person, on 9-15 April 2023 at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Washington, DC.
This will be the first International Rounds held in person in four years. We look forward to gathering with the next generation of Jessupers as well as our incredible FOJ community to celebrate international law and education.
Information about National Rounds will be announced in the coming months, as details are finalized. Please click to read our complete statement. Please feel free to email [email protected] if you have additional questions.
The Basic Materials for Jessup 2023 are now available. In a change of practice from previous years, ILSA will not be issuing a second batch of Basic Materials; instead, we will update this list from time to time. We encourage all teams to visit frequently to make sure that you have the latest materials.
Materials added after 6 October will be placed in a second list at the bottom of the page, so teams do not need to re-download every single item.
Updated 6 October 2022
- Charter of the United Nations
- Statute of the International Court of Justice
- Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties
- International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (1966)
- International Convention on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (1966)
- Draft Articles on the Law of Treaties (1966) With Commentaries
- Convention (IV) respecting the Laws and Customs of War on Land and its annex: Regulations concerning the Laws and Customs of War on Land (1907) (Hague Regulations), Regulation 42
- The Third Geneva Convention (GCIII), relative to the treatment of prisoners of war (1949), Arts. 3-4, 21-24, 49-57
- The Fourth Geneva Convention, relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War (1949) (GCIV), Arts. 33, 47, 49, 51-53, 55-56, 59-60, 76, 79-88
- Protocol Additional to the Geneva Conventions of 12 August 1949, and relating to the Protection of Victims of International Armed Conflicts (API), Arts. 1, 3-4, 44-45, 48-52, 54-55, 57-58, 60, 69-70, 85-86
- Draft articles on Responsibility of States for Internationally Wrongful Acts, with commentaries (2001)
- Draft articles on the effects of armed conflicts on treaties, with commentaries (2011)
- Basel Convention on the Control of Transboundary Movements of Hazardous Wastes and their Disposal (1989)
- Stockholm Convention on persistent organic pollutants (2001)
- General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (1947)
- Final Report to the Prosecutor by the Committee Established to Review the NATO Bombing Campaign Against the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia (2000)
- Barcelona Traction, Light, and Power Company, Ltd., ICJ Judgement (1970)
- Military and Paramilitary Activities in and against Nicaragua (Nicaragua v. United States of America), ICJ Judgement (1986)
- Legal Consequences of the Construction of a Wall in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, ICJ Advisory Opinion (2004)
- Armed Activities on the Territory of the Congo (Democratic Republic of the Congo v. Uganda), ICJ Judgment (2005)
- Inter American Court of Human Rights, Advisory Opinion OC-23/17 on The Environment and Human Rights (2017)
- Prosecutor v. Prlić et al., Trial Chamber Judgment, ICTY (2013)
- Prosecutor v. Prlić et al., Appeal Chamber Judgement, ICTY (2017)
- UN General Assembly Resolutions:
- Strauss, M. J. (2015). Territorial Leasing in Diplomacy and International Law. Leiden: Brill Nijhoff – available on Team Homepage
- Unilateral coercive measures: notion, types and qualification, Report of the Special Rapporteur on the negative impact of unilateral coercive measures on the enjoyment of human rights, Alena Douhan (2021)
National and Qualifying Rounds Schedule
The dates for all Jessup 2023 National and Friendly Rounds as well as Jessup Trainings will be updated on a rolling basis.
National and Friendly Competitions without details have not yet been confirmed. Additional National or Friendly Rounds may be added over the course of several weeks based on Jessup Team registration. Questions can be sent to [email protected].
|Central Asian Jessup Summer School||1-6 August 2022||KAZGUU University
|Jessup Bangladesh Pre Jessup Workshop||11-12 August 2022||American Independent University Bangladesh (AIUB)
|Jessup Nepal Pre Jessup Workshop||9-10 September 2022||Aloft Kathmandu Thamel
|Latin American Jessup School||19-29 October 2022||Online|
|Asia Jessup Academy||2-8 November 2022||Gujarat Maritime University
Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India
National and Friendly Rounds
Resources and Guides for Judges
Below are helpful resources and guides for both returning and new judges. The materials are divided based on resources for oral rounds scoring and grading of the written memorial submissions.
Promotional materials for Jessup 2023 have not yet been released.